Friday, April 27, 2012

My Experience in Deaf Education

I recently made a video about my experience in deaf education. I felt that I should share more information about it, since the video was short. I wanted to provide some insight about my experience. I intend to explain my mother's perspective on hearing impairment.

A Mother's Pride and Joy

 Sometimes; parents might feel grief when they find out their children are deaf, because they assume their children's hearing loss may impair their abilities to learn.  I know for a fact it isn't true. I am sure with my mother's experience, parents will find this quite comforting.

 I was not born deaf, but it is no different than becoming deaf as an infant. Either way; parents are going to react to their children's hearing loss. My mother told me I was learning how to speak Spanish at 6 months old before she found out I became deaf.  I didn't think a 6 months old baby could talk.  I was quite amazed with what I could do.

 When my mother took me to the doctor due to severe ear infections; it was so bad that my ears and eyes were bleeding. Yes; she was upset, and it was a normal reaction for all parents. However, my mother did not see it as a disability. She sought help to find a way to help me keep my verbal skills, and to help me develop communication skills. Sign language was my secondary language, and I was able to talk really well.

 My mother knew I was capable of learning, and she made sure I was provided with proper resources when I was in pre-K. As I continued my education, my mother discovered my I.Q. score was 157, and that is above average. She was so proud of me, and saw nothing wrong with being deaf.

My Success

 Today, I am working on my Bachelor's in Arts and Technology. I want to remind parents that being deaf does not mean being incapable. All they need to do is to find the right school with proper resources to help benefit their children's future.

 I have provided some resources on my blog, and don't fret. If my mother can help me achieve academic success, so can other parents.  There is nothing to be upset about. We are all the same; the only difference is the hearing loss, not the ability to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment