Friday, April 27, 2012

Educational Deficiency Hurts Deaf Children's Future

I chose educational deficiency as my topic for several reasons. I will point out why I chose this for my blog, but first, I will define what educational deficiency means.

Defining Educational Deficiency

Educational deficiency can be described as a lack of education. It describes how children are not getting the proper education they need. Why? Because lack of resources is a common problem.

 For centuries, deaf children were viewed as deaf and dumb. Deaf people were treated as if they were mentally imprisoned and incapable,  because they could not communicate with others.

Reasons Why I Chose Educational Deficiency

  I probably have said why I chose educational deficiency as my topic. However, I want to be able to explain more on why I chose my topic. My reasons have a lot to do with 35 years of observations on other deaf children and their education.

Based on my observations, I've chose educational deficiency because:
  • Many children experience educational deficiency.
  • I had seen other children who lack communication and social skills.
  • I helped a junior in high school who needed help with a 5th grade level in math.
  • Many deaf children were in special education.
  • Some deaf people lived on disability income.
  • Some deaf people were unemployed most of their lives.
  • Some parents were not aware their children are capable of learning because of the history of deaf children who were mentally imprisoned.
  • Some parents felt they had to take care of their children because they were incapable of taking care of themselves.
  These issues may cause some deaf children to feel frustrated, because they do not understand why they can't do things others can do.  However; some deaf children do have other types of mental disabilities, but my focus is not about handicapped children. Handicapped children have nothing to do with my observations; they are disabled.

  Some hearing children have learning disability, and some have been held back. It can happen to any children. I am more interested in the deaf children, because I am deaf. I do wonder how deaf people raise their hearing children like I do.

  It is difficult to raise hearing children when deaf parents cannot speak, but teaching them sign language will help both parents and children communicate with each other effectively. Hearing children can socialize with their hearing peers very easily.  Think about it. I have 4 hearing children, and I am close to getting my Bachelor's Degree.

  My oldest daughter is graduating high school this year, and my other 3 children are in honors. Being deaf should not interfere with my ability to live productively. I hope this will help parents who have so many questions that need answers.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment