Friday, March 2, 2012

Educational Deficiency

   Everything you learned through education has a purpose, and it is an important part of life. Being a deaf parent with four hearing children has changed my perspective on life.

  Being deaf does not change who I am, and it does not make me incapable to live a productive life. I grew up in a deaf community. I can say that some of the deaf children I grew up with, lack of academic skills. Others were able to graduate with honors. Either way, they're just human.

What is the Problem with English Language?

  I will be focusing on educational deficiency. My experience with the deaf culture has shown me the majority of deaf children have no English Acquisition. Deaf people's primary language is American Sign Language (ASL).

  ASL is like using slang. If deaf people say, “I am going to the store”. They would not use the word “am”, “to”, or “the”. ASL may play a part with educational deficiency since they weren't taught proper English languages. More importantly, deaf education programs lack academic requirements.

Is the Deaf Community Getting Smaller?

  Deaf children are not being recognized. To make matter worse; all across the country, the schools for the deaf are being pushed into non-existence. National Association of the Deaf is fighting hard to keep the schools open.

  If the schools closed down, then what will happen to the deaf children if the schools closed down? Will they be able to assimilate with the hearing children at public schools. Will the public schools meet the needs of the deaf children? What will happen to the deaf communities? What about social skills?

Accomplishing My Goal to Help Parents

  My goal is to try to find resources for the parents of deaf children and their educations. I intend to use the blogs and other resources I found online, and list information that are concise and clear. I will include links to other sources that can help fill the blank.

  Most importantly; if the blogs I chose lack helpful tips for the parents of deaf children, then I will correct it by providing bullet list of ways to help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment